I tried to plant some sweetcorn at the beginning of April, but the seedlings got destroyed by evil, horrid slugs. Instead of giving up i decided to plant a little more, and put it out the way of the slugs. And…hey presto! I transplanted them into the legumes bed as that’s the only one that has any space.
The plants have to be planted in a block, like above as they are wind pollinating, and wouldn’t produce any corn if they were planted in rows. Ideally the spacing should be 30-40cm, but i haven’t got the space for that, so we’ll see how they do.
The plants should be a bit bigger than this now, but i’m hoping that when the sun comes out in Cheltenham next week (cough, splutter) the plants will shoot up, and we’ll have some cobs around late August.
Quite rewarding seeing them grow either way, and a lesson learned for next year.