The tomatoes in the hanging baskets (and a multitude of those black tubs that Morrisons sell) are all just starting to show flowers. We are going to have hundreds of tumbling tomatoes soon! This i spotted on a website recently, may come in handy!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 20 baby tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- a squidge of tomato puree (for base)
- 3 leaves fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
How to make…
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions in the oil until golden brown. Add crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Let the sauce come to a boil, lower heat to low and stir occasionally until desired thickness. Sauce is ready when oil rises to the top. Skim off oil.
Some recipes i’ve seen add parmesan cheese and a bit of sugar to take the edge off it.
Time to start saving jars!